Simon Cowell says Tulisa’s X Factor role is safe and blasts “scumbag” who sold the tape

The X Factor judge blasts the person responsible for the release of the footage and labels them a "scumbag".

Read more on Tulisa Contostavlos Listen to Tulisa Contostavlos on Spotify
Posted 23rd March 2012 in News, Tulisa Contostavlos | By Clickmusic News Desk
Tulisa Contostavlos

Simon Cowell has sprung to the defence of X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos in the light of the recent sex tape controversy.

Cowell used the Britain's Got Talent launch event to praise Tulisa and state clearly that she does not need to apologise to anyone for the release of the video. He also said that the former N-Dubz star's job as judge on the ITV show is "safe".

"Tulisa doesn't have to apologise for anything. The only person who has to apologise is the scumbag who sold the tape," Cowell said passionately.

"It's private, it's intimate and she did nothing wrong. People do these things in the bedroom believe it or not. I feel very sorry for her. He's a scumbag and I feel very, very angry about this."

Speculation had been mounting that Tulisa's role may have been in jeopardy in light of the release, but Cowell's statement on the matter has laid those rumours to rest. It now looks as though all four judges - including the increasingly maddening Louis Walsh - will be back to front the show again this year.

Tulisa's statement on the matter has earned her respect in the media for confirming her involvement and trying to move past the invasion of privacy.

Britain's Got Talent launches against BBC's The Voice on Saturday, March 24 at 8pm.