Gotye and Sia are among the best-sellers of 2012 so far
Adele and Lana Del Rey lead the best-selling albums, while Gotye, Sia and Jessie J dominate the best-selling singles of 2012 so farRead more on Gotye Listen to Gotye on Spotify
The Official Charts Company reports that Adele, Gotye and Sia are among the best-selling artists of 2012 so far.
We're only a quarter into the year and there are certain artists that are leaving the competition way behind in a cloud of dust.
The UK singles chart is being ruled by Gotye's smash-hit 'Somebody That I Used To Know', which has sold well over 500,000 copies. Just behind Gotye, David Guetta and Sia's 'Titanium' sits at number two and Jessie J's 'Domino' at number three. Both of which have tallied up over 500,000 copies this year.
It's no surprise that Adele's '21' is the biggest-seller of 2012. This brings '21' the honour of being the best-selling album of the past decade and racks up a total of almost 20 million copies sold worldwide.
Digital copies account for a third of all albums sold in the UK in the first quarter of 2012, totalling 33.1%. And in the UK singles chart, digital copies make up a whopping 99.7% of all singles sold in the UK. While this is great news for the industry and a telling sign of where music is heading, we still miss cassettes.
Top ten albums
1. '21' - Adele
2. 'Born To Die' - Lana Del Rey
3. 'Our Version of Events' - Emile Sandé
4. '+' - Ed Sheeran
5. 'Mylo Xyloto' - Coldplay
6. 'Doo-Wops & Hooligans' - Bruno Mars
7. 'Nothing But The Beat' - David Guetta
8. 'Who You Are' - Jessie J
9. 'In My Dreams' - Military Wives
10. 'In Case You Didn't Know' - Olly Murs
Top ten singles:
1. 'Somebody That I Used To Know' - Gotye FT Kimbra
2. Titanium' - David Guetta FT Sia
3. 'Domino' - Jessie J
4. 'Wild Ones' - Flo Rida FT Sia
5. 'Next To Me' - Emile Sande
6. 'Mama Do The Hump' - Rizzle Kicks
7. 'Hot Right Now' - DJ Fresh FT Rita Ora
8. 'Starships' - Nicki Minaj
9. 'Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)' - Kelly Clarkson
10. 'Good Feeling' - Flo Rida
Source: The Official Charts Company 2012.